Thursday, February 28, 2013

I'm a distraction at work...

Seems at least one co-worker does not want to hear about my trip. I went to talk to my boss and she said she needed to talk to me too. She says she understands I am excited and this trip is huge but I need to not talk about it so much as its a distraction to my co-workers. Apparently someone (or a couple of someones) do not want to hear about it. I do not know who complained but I do have a suspicion. Cathy is our lead and she has gone to our boss when she feels there is too much talking going on (she goes on cruises a lot so she really doesn't talk about it much, nor do I think she's jealous), or Sandi, who... well let's just say we have had our issues (and could be jealous). The sad part is I don't talk too much at work. I'm not close to anyone. I can go days or weeks with barely a word, that's not work related, to anyone . I've even, occasionally, been asked if I was okay, since I've been so quiet. The one time something amazing happens that I'm so excited about (and the past few weeks when I was anxious if this trip would even happen) and someone bursts my bubble 2 days after the flight is booked. What do they think..... I'm going to talk of nothing else for the next 6 months (more if you count after the trip). Hell, I figured after this week, the initial thrill will calm down and I wouldn't be talking about it so much, just maybe mentioning when I apply for the passport, when I get the passport, etc. until maybe a few weeks before as the excitement starts growing again.

Well no one needs to worry about it anymore. I won't talk about the trip at all from here on in. If anyone asks, I'll either just answer and not elaborate further, or say I can't talk about it because its a distraction to my fellow co-workers or I'm busy. This includes after the trip. I won't be bringing pictures in.... after all, when could I show them the pictures? We don't take our breaks together; we have assigned break times and we all go at separate times. Lunch we go 3 at a time, but the 2 that go with me are Cathy and Sandi. Sandi goes outside and smokes, and Cathy stays at her desk (besides, I suspect one or both are the complainers) and I definitely don't hang out with any of them outside of work.

It just bugs me to no end this happened. I hear my co-workers talking about their kids, husbands, lives and problems all the time. I don't care about hearing all that, but I just ignore it, not complain. When Tanula was pregnant I spent months hearing about this baby (mainly from Sandi, not so much Tan). I hear Sandi talk about problems with her daughter, her father, her boyfriend incessantly but I ignore it and not complain. I hear Tanula on the phone talking to her sisters or her church members all the time, but I don't complain, just ignore it and do my job. So I'm excited. I'M GOING TO ROME! I'm not going to go on and on about it for months. Let me have my "moment." I haven't had a real vacation since 1988! I've just stayed in Minnesota or visited mom in Wisconsin, and I've never been out North America. This is a BIG deal for me.

I do believe a few are interested (Tanula and Christine) but not sure when I could. Like I said, we don't take our breaks together nor do we hang out outside of work. I was planning on sending a postcard to Tracy (my boss) to share with my department, but not so sure anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment